In the year 1865, Tago was once a barangay under the Municipality of Tandag. It was created as a municipality under the Maura Law of the Spanish government. After three years as a town, it was returned to its barangay status due to low income and unsuitable site. The Spanish authorities restored its municipal status in August 23, 1883 for the second time with its location transferred from Daan Lungsod which was often hit by flood and typhoon to a more safer place called Laguna. In 1896, during the Philippine Revolution and due to occasional Moro invasion of the locality, Tago was again returned to its barrio status. In the summer of 1916 at the height of the First World War, Tago leaders worked out for the restoration of its municipal status for the third time now, under the Philippine Autonomy Act also known as the Jones Law passed by the United States Congress on August 29, 1916.
The local officials responsible in spearheading the crusade to restore the independence of Tago from its mother municipality of Tandag for the third time included Catalino Lareja, Calixtro Espinoza, Simon Luna, Miguel Montero, Juan L. Garcia, Feliciano Aquiza, Juan Pimentel, Lorenzo Elizalde, Canuto Consuegra, Lino Montero, Isidro Garcia, Pastor Cabrera, Bernardo Falcon, and Felipe Lozada. They petitioned the municipal council of Tandag headed by Municipal President Felix Rodriguez. The petition was strongly supported by resolution sponsored by the councilor Catalino Pareja along with councilors Lino Montero, Isidro Garcia and Zacarias Espinoza, who submitted it together with a separate petition to the Provincial Board of Surigao. Surigao Provincial Governor Ricardo Gonzales who received the petition together with the provincial board endorsement had been delayed in submitting the documents to Manila. At the hands of Francis Burton Harrison, Governor General of the Philippines from 1913 to 1912, the papers were held pending for sometimes because the governor general was confronted with other important matters as a consequence of the First World War.
On November 6, 1918, Governor General Francis Burton Harrison signed Executive Order No. 41, creating Tago as municipality for the third time to take effect January 1, 1919, as the 10th municipality of the Province of Surigao. However, based on the first and second creation of the Municipality of Tago (August 1865 and August 23, 1883), our pioneering leaders have chosen to celebrate the founding anniversary in the month of August, a tradition which lasted 97 years until 2016. Thus, the 1st centennial celebration will be held in the month of August as supported by the Municipal Ordinance No. RP-03, series of 2018.
Installed as the first appointed municipal president of the new municipality at this period was Don Catalino Pareja with Don Calixtro Espinoza as his vice municipal. The municipal councilors were Miguel Montero, Simon Luna, Juan S. Pimentel, Feliciano Arquiza, Juan L. Garcia, Lorenzo Elizalde and Canuto Consuegra.
During the local election in 1919, Don Catalino Pareja then incumbent municipal president was elected to the same position with Lino Montero as his vice president.
After the term of Don Catalino Pareja, Don Calixtro Espinoza took over the administration in 1922 election with Isidro Garcia as his municipal vice president.
Three original barangays under Tago were also created as municipality, namely: Cagwait by virtue of Executive Order No. 559 signed by Pres. Elpedio Quirino on April 18, 1953 with Rafael Consuegra as appointed Municipal Mayor. Bayabas, by virtue of Executive Order No. 42 signed by Pres. Carlos P. Garcia on November 20, 1961 with Estanislaw P. Garcia as appointed Municipal Mayor. San Miguel, by virtue of R.A.3491 on June 16, 1962 authored by Congressman Vicente L. Pimentel with Regino A. Jimenez Sr. as appointed Municipal Mayor.